Location: Port Arthur
Posted on: May 10, 2019
Job Overview: ?Lays out, aligns and welds components that are
fabricated, cast and forged to assemble structural forms such as
machinery frames, tanks, pressure vessels, furnace shells,
buildings and pipe, according to blueprints and metallurgy.Key
- Selects type and size of pipe or other related materials and
equipment according to specifications.
- Selects equipment and plans layouts, assembly, and welding,
applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal
machining, and welding techniques.
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc,
Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded Metal Arc welding
- Lays out, positions, aligns and fits components together in
various body positions.
- Bolts, clamps and welds together metal components of products
such as piping systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes,
using arc and arc gas welding equipment.
- May weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead
- May tack weld assemblies together.
- Connects cable from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage,
slope and pulse as specified by procedure or supervisor.
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable
holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.
- Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from
electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece.
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining
length of arc and speed and movement to form specified depth of
fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and
size of molten puddle.
- May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal.
- May clean or degrease weld joint or workplace, using wire
brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath.
- May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes.
- May remove excess weld, defective weld material, slag and
spatter, using carbon arc gouge, hand scrapper, grinder or power
- May preheat work piece, using hand torch or heating
- May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment and
- May assist in lifting, positioning and securing of materials
and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and
- Assists other mechanics as needed.
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required.
- Required to pass employer performance tests or standard tests
to meet certification standards.
- Performs only procedures certified in.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and
- Performs other duties as required.Basic Qualifications:
- Technical Certification or NCCER required
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous years of experience in the field or in a related
- Have knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and
procedures within a particular field.
- Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy.
- Capable of certifying on multi-process pipe.
- Being proficient in SMAW, GTAW and GMAW welding processes.
- May require x-ray qualities.
- Make decisions based on measurable criteria.
- Apply basic mathematics to solve problems.
- Plan work and select proper tools.
- Visualize objects in three dimensions from plans and
- Compare and see differences in the size, shape and form of
lines, figures and objects.
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to
perform the functions of the job.
- Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not
typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically
reports to a supervisor or manager.Other Details:If applicable to
the project, etc.Physical Requirements:NP=Not Present,
O=Occasionally (0-33%), F=Frequently (34-66%), C=Constantly
(lbs)Carrying (lbs) phone number removed> lb.25-5035 lb. Work
environment: Normal work environment will be shop or field which
will require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise,
working near moving mechanical parts, electrical energy,
construction equipment, vibration, fumes, chemicals and airborne
particles.Communication Skills: Ability to effectively verbally
communicate directions from craft supervisors, and respond to
questions from managers and fellow workers.Mathematical skills:
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios
and proportions to practical situations.Physical demands: refer to
Physical Demands section/manualOther: Must supply own tools
appropriate for basic tasks--
Keywords: McDermott, Port Arthur , Welder Combination, Other , Port Arthur, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!